The prestigious Independent School of the Year awards, by Independent School Parent magazine, showcase excellence across the UK and overseas. Its London Independent School of the Year category applauds institutions that use their London location to add value to the experience of pupils.
Mr Silvester, Headmaster, explained: “Being a finalist for London Independent School of the Year 2023 is a fantastic recognition of how, since opening in Marylebone in 2015, Wetherby Senior has worked hard to ensure our central London location enhances the education of our boys.”
Wetherby Senior’s inclusion as a finalist for this top award for London-based independent schools acknowledges how:
- Wetherby Senior pupils are not just a familiar sight around Marylebone, successful community engagement means every boy is regularly involved in transformational activities, from fundraising for West London Mission (which operates just metres from our School) to volunteering at local primary schools or supporting older members of the community via Age UK Westminster and the Penfold Community;
- Wetherby Senior’s location in the heart of London means speakers are regularly invited to inspire pupils and parents, with interactive workshops by renowned charities examining wellbeing and equality, motivating talks on university options, and fortnightly lectures on careers (speakers range from the UK Space Agency to pioneering female barristers);
- University guidance at Wetherby Senior starts much earlier than most schools and, since London is at the heart of the global world, representatives from institutions across three continents are frequent visitors. Our School holds a popular US University Forum, plus regular seminars to parents about universities, well-attended workshops with boys on North American admissions, and a huge number of talks by university representatives (20 in 2022-23);
- London is a thriving capital city and so Wetherby Senior encourage boys to explore different careers. Through a unique partnership with a renowned coaching firm, sixth formers undertake a five-month leadership programme, learning to be ethical leaders, while our on-site Year 12 Skills Day includes mock interviews with respected professionals and workshops on important work-based topics; and
- Wetherby Senior also capitalise on ease of access from Marylebone to enrich the experience of our boys. In 2022-23 alone, pupils enjoyed lectures at the Royal Geographical Society, theatre trips (Othello, Hamilton, and more), and exhibitions at Regent’s Park. Our young scientists explored the Natural History Museum, linguists tested their skills at the Institut Francais, sixth formers toured Parliament, and actors performed on-stage at RADA. Making use of links beyond London, boys visited Kenilworth Castle, Hampton Court, and Bletchley Park, and skied in Canada and Italy.
Mr Silvester added: “We are all delighted that Wetherby Senior is a finalist for London Independent School of the Year 2023, alongside a handful of well-recognised schools. I’m very proud that, in a relatively short space of time, Wetherby Senior has established itself as such an extraordinary London school.”
Winners of the Independent Schools of the Year 2023 awards will be announced at a ceremony in early October.